Sunday, February 28, 2016

In the Hands of Time and Weather

        We all know the feeling of going outside after a long winter and being instantly uplifted when we realize that the temperatures are no longer utterly hypothermic. We take off our coats and long pants when it reaches the neighborhood of fifty degrees. Around the same temperature in the summer months, we begin to batten down the winter hatches, clothe ourself a in the thickest of wools, and accept out imminent necessary hibernation.

        The same happens year in and year out and each year, we act surprised at the SO unexpected temperature change. However, we continue to react like clockwork in the very way described by Joan Didion in "Los Angeles Notebooks" where the people seem to be disoriented every time the Santa Ana wind comes. With the weather each year come the same emotions and action.
        These reactions are the very things that make weather and seasons of any importance to humans. Although it may not affect us in any massive way, looking at weather from this viewpoint just adds another dimension to our lives. Without it, we'd all move through the seasons and years very monotonously on the same average level of emotion. Now wouldn't that be boring?

3 comments:

  1. You incorporated the class material really nicely. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, for one, prefer to look at the weather the same way year round; I hate every bit of it.
    I don't like heat, I don't like the lack thereof, and I don't like that weird uncomfortable mix in between - the only thing I enjoy is wind. Oddly coincidental that this is the topic of Didion's piece, so I thought I'd mention it. For some reason I find wind relaxing... And in not talking a gentle breeze I mean like a 25 mile an hour wind. Don't ask why I can't explain - all I know is that I like to sleep when there are multiple fans in the room.

    ReplyDelete