In "The Death of the Moth" by Virginia Woolf, she describes the mundane event of a moth dying. While others might say that this is all she was trying to accomplish, and she had no ulterior motive, I happen to know otherwise; she is displaying the lack of purpose in life. In her view, we as humans just fire coins into the slot machines in the casino of life, hoping we can accomplish something of importance. However, we all come up short because of our inevitable mortality. Another thing she tries to do is to display how all alone people are in the world. She depicts the moth roaming around alone, profiling the people she is writing about as Lone Ranger-type figures left to take on the world by themselves.
I, however, disagree with this perspective of life. I believe that we are all here to endure the troubles of life and come out on the other end having made something beautiful of ourselves. As Jeannette Walls says in her personal childhood memoir "The Glass Castle," "I wanted to dig it up... Mom frowned at me. '
You'd be destroying what makes it special,' she said. 'It's the Joshua tree's struggle that gives it its beauty.'" If you want to live a happy life, don't live like a moth. You'll end up going from corner to corner, never getting anywhere, never accomplishing anything.
I enjoyed how you constructed this post as well as the visuals that you had in there too! Good job!!
ReplyDeleteSpot on "casino of life" metaphor - love the creativity :)
ReplyDelete