Saturday, February 6, 2016

The Shifting of the Tide of the Napkins

I've grown up in a situation incredibly similar to that of Brad Manning in "Arm Wrestling with my Father." I've been nothing but competitive with my dad in every single situation of my life, even in those that don't call for any competition at all. One minute we would just be sitting on the couch, and the next we'd be seeing who could throw the napkin that he'd rolled up through the ring that the other had made with their hands. My dad, as a good dad should, beat me at every single competition we ever did. However, as of late, I've gotten quicker and more skilled, and he's gotten older. This has led to me beginning to beat him at almost everything we do. He's always told me that this would happen and, unlike what you might expect, that he wanted it to happen. He's told me that he loves me and wants me to succeed so much that if it means losing, he's fine with it. This is how my father has let me know he loves me because, unlike Manning and his dad, my father and I have a physical relationship, as well as verbal. This, I believe, is the better way to deal with relationships because I will never have to feel like my father doesn't know that I love him back. He knows I love him, I know he loves me, and nothing is going to change that.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you brought up your relationship between you and your father!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome how you added the fact that you guys have a verbal relationship as well. In the beginning it seemed like your relationship was extremely like the Mannings', but the addition of the verbal really make the relationship your own. The ending sentence also plays beautifully on the simple, yet effective verbal side.

    ReplyDelete